The What, Why and How of this Fantastic Fashion Trend
It’s true that trends come and go, but there is a reason that Dopamine Dressing has stuck around for the past few years and is only growing in momentum. This feel-good fashion trend is sure to stick around and we absolutely love it. If you’re wondering what it is, and how you can embrace this trend, we’re here to break it down for you.
If you’re a fashion enthusiast and have been active on social media, chances are you’ve come across this phrase or #DopamineDressing at least a few times. Usually, it’ll show you an outfit that is brightly coloured, has a bold pattern or a stunning silhouette. But if you’re confused about what it actually means, we’ll give your some context: Dopamine, or the ‘feel-good’ hormone is a chemical messenger in your brain that is released when you do something that gives you pleasure like cuddling with a loved one, petting a dog, listening to music etc.
So the idea behind dopamine dressing is wearing an outfit that will help boost your mood and release this chemical in your brain. At Shaye, we have always believed in the power of clothes and the joy they can bring. We embrace gorgeous patterns, exuberant styles and vibrant colours. But most of all, we aim to create clothes that would help you feel like your best self, making you feel powerful and confident and ready to conquer the day.
According to experts, what to wear can have a great impact on how you feel that day – so if you’re dressed in something that makes you feel amazing, you’re going to be carrying that feeling through the day – completing your tasks with more confidence and receiving compliments – creating a positive feedback loop and enhancing your overall mood. Clothes are also a strong form of self-expression and also a great way to (unapologetically) show off your personal style. Wearing certain colours, patterns and textures that you feel empowered in and that bring you joy is essentially what this trend is all about! After all, if the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that nothing is certain, so wear what makes you happy!
Here’s a few simple steps to help you hack this trend and help you find joy in dressing!
1. Study your wardrobe: Recognise some pieces that you absolutely love to wear, that make you feel confident and empowered and just really good about yourself. It could be a combination of bold statement tops, breezy dresses, neutral basics or a your go-to pair of jeans. Are there certain colours, silhouettes, textures or patterns that you see repeating themselves? Well, those are the kind of clothes you should go for when you’re shopping for some feel good clothing that you’d like to wear on repeat.
2. Celebrate your personal style: Dopamine Dressing is all about embracing your personal unique style and wearing it boldly and unapologetically. By doing this, you’ll have room to express yourself and also stand out from the crowd. Mix colours and patterns if you like or wear that whimsical scarf – do what you want, you make the rules!
3. Use Colour Therapy: Colour has the power to make a huge impact on our mood. And while we’ve already talked about colour theory in a blog post earlier, we need to understand that basic theory is different from our personal perception of particular colours. For example, yellows and oranges are usually associated with being the happiest of colours – but you may find them too bright for you or they may make you feel like you’re being drowned in them. So you’d rather opt for a brilliant blue or a pastel pink or any colour that you know you feel amazing in. The idea is to shine your brightest and feel your best!
4. Floral Prints: Or any prints, really, can have a positive effect on your mood. This may require you to step out of your comfort zone a little, and experiment with your style, but trust us – it’s a great feeling to step out in something with a gorgeous print and own it! Try prints in different colours, scale and patterns – and see what you enjoy the most. Remember to have fun with it – that’s the most important part!
5. Add some shimmer: The easiest way to instantly elevate your outfit and uplift your mood is to shine, literally. And we don’t necessarily mean that you should step out in head to toe sequin (but if that’s your thing – go for it!) – you can explore something with smaller embellishments and embroidery details. In fact, our new metallic foil printed styles are a perfect example of how to incorporate a bit of shimmer in your everyday wardrobe.
6. Bold Accessories: A big bright handbag, printed scarf, gorgeous jewellery or a statement shoe – any of these can be a great way to add that extra hint of happiness to your outfit.